Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What's Your Shepherd's Staff?

It's snowing outside! The ground is already covered with a white blanket, and there's no sign of a let-up. My hubby has to be on the road today -- I'm praying for a safe trip. Roads turn into a sheet of ice quickly here in this type of weather. I'll hunker down and work all day in my office, thankful to be able to stay home.

This morning I read something that I'd read many times before but never really noticed. You know how Moses watched his father-in-law's flocks? His tool for that job was a shepherd's staff (Exod. 4:2). When God gave him the task of leading the Israelites out of Egypt, that staff took on new significance. Verse 20 says Moses took his wife and sons, put them on a donkey and headed back to Egypt. "In his hand he carried the staff of God."
Wow -- the simple shepherd's staff became the staff of God!

What would be the equivalent in my life? A pen, perhaps. For years I used a pen to write missionary newsletters and notes of encouragement to friends. Then one day, God gave me my writing assignment. Suddenly the pen became the very tool He chose to use. for an expanded ministry.

I love how God works. He can use whatever He wishes to accomplish His purposes through us. I have a friend who enjoys baking bread. That's the tool she uses to show love to others. Another friend makes pretty notecards. Someone else crochets dishcloths and gives them away as little gifts.

God wants to use us to build His kingdom, and He wants to use what's already in our hand. The simplest tool becomes "the staff of God" when we're willing to obey Him.

What's your staff?

2 comments:

Gebert Family Blog said...

I found this entry very thought provoking today. I honestly have no idea what my "Shepherd's Staff" is? I am quite honestly a little nervous yet excited to seek the Lord and find out!

Thank you for the wonderful message today Grace. <3

Seeking God's Solution for a Spirit-Filled Canada said...

Grace,
That is a wonderful thought - to seek to find my shepherd's staff. I plan to ask God that question.
Jan