Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Feeling versus Knowing

Amen to the comment about yesterday's post! When Joseph was betrayed by his family and then thrown into prison for being lied about, I wonder how he felt. Did he feel like God was with him? Or did he have to choose to believe it?

Therein lies the challenge for real life, eh? Heaven help us from living life based on our feelings. Sheesh, we can get ourselves into a lot of trouble that way. And we can find ourselves in a pit of despair, too. The enemy just loves to mess with our minds, feeding us lies to discourage us when we're going through tough stuff. We have to fight back by filling our minds with God's truth and choosing to believe it.

When we live according to God's truth, we can overcome all the negatives that the enemy throws our way. And we can flourish in the midst of the challenges. Joseph's life proves that this is possible.

This morning I read more about Joseph's story. Genesis 41:52 says this: "Joseph named his second son Ephraim, for he said, 'God has made me fruitful in this land of my suffering.'" This really challenged me to think about my response to difficulties.

Could I say that God makes me fruitful in my suffering? Do good things result from my response to hard times? Or do I tend to curl up in a fetal position and wish the world would go away? Do I harbor bitterness? Do I whine about my circumstances and compare my lot to others who never seem to have problems?

I sure hope it's not the latter. I want to learn to embrace difficulties as opportunities to bear fruit, more fruit, and even MORE fruit!

How about you? If you have a story about how God produced fruit through suffering in your life, I'd love for you to tell us about it here.

No comments: