Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Rest and Refreshment

My schedule is ramping up as I prepare for Missions Fest Vancouver, Break Forth in Edmonton, and departure for Eastern Europe -- all happening within the next five days. And so, as I read Psalm 23 this morning, I latched onto verses 2-3. Written just for me, I believe!

"He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength."

Beautiful! I envision a grassy field dotted with weeping willows. A stream trickles through the scene, its shores lined with wild flowers in blues, yellows, pinks, and reds. And under the shade of one of those magnificent trees lies a lawn recliner. A little round table sits next to it, topped with a glass of ice-cold lemonade. Aaaahhhh...doesn't that just make you wanna take a deep breath and enjoy the moment? Wouldn't it be great to step from your back porch into this scenario every day?

Unfortunately, life's not like that. Things get busy. Kids cry. Husbands need attention. Houses need cleaning. Phones ring and computers bleep. You know how it goes.

When life gets a little crazy and we get tired, we can cling to the promise in these verses. Personally, I think my green meadow is my living room. Spending time with Jesus there each morning is where my soul finds refreshment. It's where I find my strength. The lawn recliner is actually my leather loveseat. I sip coffee rather than lemonade. The trickling stream is replaced by the gurgling fountain in the corner nearby.

There I sit with my Bible, my journal, and my Best Friend. And there I find rest.

A lot of people ask me how we can maintain the pace we have, especially without getting sick. I have no magical answer for that. I can only say that we spend time regularly with Jesus, and He gives us the strength for the tasks He's assigned. He renews our strength morning by morning.

If you're feeling rushed...maybe even frenzied...today, take a moment to breathe deeply. Sit down for five minutes with a cup of tea or coffee in hand. Sip slowly. Envision Jesus sitting beside you. Relish the moment, and let Him refresh your spirit and body.

No comments: