Monday, January 26, 2009

Fear of Inadequacy

I was in Dawson Creek, BC, for a women's conference over the weekend. Flew up there on Friday and was greeted with a blast of cold air (minus 39 degrees Celsius), but warm hearts and hospitality. Fifty precious women attended the meetings -- my prayer is that God will continue the good work He's begun in their hearts.

This morning, back in my little living room, I read about Moses' call to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. This is the exact passage from which I taught on Saturday morning in Dawson Creek. It so vividly illustrates the fear of inadequacy -- something many of us struggle with.

God had big plans for Moses and for His people. When He gave Moses his divine assignment, Moses' immediate reaction was, "Who, me? You've gotta be kidding. I can't do that." That was true. He couldn't do it. Imagine feeding and providing everything needed for about 3 1/2 million people!

The good news was -- God didn't expect him to do it on his own. He (God) had all the details already figured out. He just needed a man on the ground to do the job. He just wanted Moses to say 'yes' and He'd look after the rest.

I've struggled with the fear of inadequacy, too. The ironic thing is -- when I sensed God nudging me to write a book about the fears that women face, I argued with him for a year. I told Him that doing so was beyond my abilities...I couldn't possibly pull it off....yada yada. Sometimes I'm a little slow upstairs. It took me awhile to figure out that He was giving me an assignment that was too big for me so that I'd have to lean on Him to get it done. That way, I'd experience His sufficiency in a new and more intimate way.

How about you? Do you have a God-given dream in your heart? Have you sensed Him nudging you towards a specific assignment? How have you responded?

It's okay to admit your fear of inadequacy and your dependency upon Him to get the job done. In fact, that's a very healthy place to be. It's exactly where He wants us. When we are cast on Him to complete the task, we'll do it in His way and strength rather than our own. And that's the best way to get it done, right?

No comments: