Friday, January 12, 2007

A Joyful Heart

On my desk sits a perpetual calendar filled with wonderful quotes. Today's quote is from composer Joseph Haydn. He said, "When I think upon my God, my heart is so full of joy that the notes dance and leap from my pen; and since God has given me a cheerful heart, it will be pardoned me that I serve Him with a cheerful spirit."

Sometimes we allow real-life problems to weigh us down and steal our joy. But Joseph's words remind us that thinking upon God gives us a cheerful heart. I've found that to be true. When I focus on circumstances that are less than desirable, my joy fizzles. My spirit is left feeling like a withered balloon. And what does my countenance reflect? Let's just say it ain't a pretty sight. A woman with a positive influence? Forget it.

But when I think upon my God and His control over my circumstances, my heart is once again filled with joy. It's never a bubbly, giddy feeling. Rather, it's a deep-settled sense that everything's under His control and I can rest. I can know that He's at work in my situation, and I'm at peace. My countenance reflects my heart condition, and a smile is a natural overflow.

The next time we feel empty or discouraged, let's think upon our God. Guaranteed, those thoughts will fill our hearts with cheer and enable us to serve Him with a cheerful heart. Therein lies the secret to being women of influence.

(Maybe this God-talk sounds foreign to you. Perhaps the only reference to God you've known is negative. Let me assure you, that's not the case. If you want to know more about who God is, drop me a note!)

Know you are loved,
Grace

No comments: